Liability and medical insurance address the institutional and personal-type needs of the University and University employees. Liability insurance is a form of coverage which protects from the liability, or obligation, imposed by law for the injury of a person or property. The liability normally results from negligent acts or omissions. Medical Payments (MedPay) insurance addresses costs resulting from bodily injury or illness due to an accident.

Actions of Employees – Tort Claims Act

The University, its officers and employees, are afforded liability coverage for their actions, or failure to act, based on statutory precedence and through commercially procured insurance policies. Under the State Tort Claims Act (North Carolina General Statue Chapter 143, Article 31), the State of North Carolina has waived its sovereign immunity against suits for negligent acts up to the limit of $1,000,000. For the Act to apply, a suit must be brought against the State, or its subdivision – the University, which involves a claim that has resulted from negligence.  By the establishment of this Act, the university is responsible for the first $150,000 of any claim, and the residual is addressed under the public officer’s and employee’s liability and direct excess liability policy.

Based on supplementary executive mandates and interpretations, the term “employee” has been expanded to include:

  • individuals employed by and working for the State
  • individuals employed by the University system
  • officially authorized volunteers of the State/University
  • agents of the State/University to include students serving apprenticeships, internships, or practicum at the University
    • NOTE: Student teachers practicing outside of the University, however, are not an “employee” and are the responsibility of the entity (i.e., school district) where they serve

The Defense of State Employees Act (North Carolina General Statute Chapter 143, Article 31A) provides personal liability coverage for employees while in the performance of their duties where losses result in injury and/or damage. Covered in this context is a wrongful act, omission, accident made in the scope and course of an employee’s employment, and a failure to properly act or not act when there is a responsibility to do so. Examples of such acts are:

  • defamation of character 
  • false arrest
  • violation of civil rights 

Excluded from coverage, for example, are:

  • when the act or accident is outside of the scope of an employee’s employment
  • when an act involves fraud, false representation, corruption, malice, or intentional wrongdoing
  • when determined not in the best interest of the State

Claims against the University under the State Tort Claims Act are adjudicated by the North Carolina Industrial Commission. Claims against the University’s officers and employees, alone, are litigated under the State Defense of Employees Act.

Additional Resources


While participating in required internships, practicums, clinicals, or student teaching for credit, students must purchase the Intern Liability Insurance Policy, which provides professional and general liability coverage.  Upon registering for a student teaching, practicum, or internship class, a minimal fee will be attached to the student’s account. This fee will cover the cost of the premiums for the insurance coverage. This insurance policy has $2 million per incident and $4 million aggregate limits, and a $0 deductible. If the student already has liability coverage from memberships to organizations that include it or privately purchased insurance, the fee may be waived by providing documented proof of coverage to Enterprise Risk Management.

The professional liability insurance provides coverage for an insured party (in this case, the UNCG student) who becomes legally obligated because of any act, error, or omission in the rendering of or failure to render professional services in conjunction with an internship.

The general liability insurance will pay those sums on behalf of an insured party (in this case, the UNCG student) who becomes legally liable to pay damages because of property damage, bodily injury, or personal injury because of their participation in a university internship program to which the policy applies.

Additional Resources


All University owned vehicles and “Hired and Non Owned” vehicles are insured through a State owned insurance policy with Travelers Insurance. Please contact Enterprise Risk Management at (336) 256-1102 or [email protected] for all vehicle policies, claims information, certificates, and forms.

As all vehicles are excluded from the State Tort Claims Act and, therefore, are required to be included in this coverage, it may be helpful to attach the follow definition of an automobile/vehicle as is clarified by the insurance policy.

“Auto” means:

  1. A land motor vehicle, “trailer” or semitrailer designed to travel on public roads; or
  2. Any other land vehicle that is subject to a compulsory or financial responsibility law or other motor vehicle insurance law where it is licnsed or principally garaged.

This coverage is also extended to “mobile equipment” which includes any of the following types of land vehicles, including any attached machinery or equipment:

  1. Bulldozers, farm machinery, forklifts and other vehicles designed for use principally off public roads;
  2. Vehicles maintained for use solely on or next to premises you own or rent;
  3. Vehicles that travel on crawler treads;
  4. Vehicles, whether self-propelled or not, maintained primarily to provide mobility to permanently mounted:
    • a. Power cranes, shovels, loaders, diggers or drills; or
    • b. Road construction or resurfacing equipment such as graders, scrapers or rollers;
  5. Vehicles not described in Paragraph 1, 2, 3 or 4 above that are not self-propelled and are maintained primarily to provide mobility to permanently attached equipment of the following types:
    • a. Air compressors, pumps and generators, including praying, welding, building cleaning, geophysical exploration, lighting and well-servicing equipment; or
    • b. Cherry pickers and similar devises used to raise or lower workers; or
  6. Vehicles not described in Paragraph 1, 2, 3 or 4 above maintained primarily for purposes other than the transportation of persons or cargo.

    However, self-propelled vehicles with the following types of permanently attached equipment are not “mobile equipment” but will be considered “autos”:
    • a. Equipment designed primarily for:
            (1) Snow removal;
            (2) Road maintenance, but not construction or resurfacing; or
            (3) Street cleaning;
    • b. Cherry pickers and similar devices mounted on automobile or truck chassis or used to raise or lower workers: and
    • c. Air compressors, pumps and generators, including spraying, welding, building cleaning, geophysical exploration, lighting or well-servicing equipment.

In summary, if it is self-propelled, in any direction, or used primarily attached to a self-propelled vehicle, then it needs to be reported.

Additional Resources

This insurance is offered by a third party insurer through our office and the University Risk Managers & Insurance Association (URMIA).

Special Event Insurance

Designed to provide low cost general liability insurance coverage to third party users of university facilities (Special Event Liability). TULIP (Tenants and Users Liability Insurance Policy) may be a solution for groups and organizations who desire to use UNCG facilities for special events and fund-raisers as well as third party performers coming in to perform at the university request. The program was started through the University Risk Management and Insurance Association (URMIA) of which we belong to. This gives the user group a liability insurance purchasing option, to meet user University liability insurance requirements for fundraiser events and just as important, gives them their own liability insurance protection, given the reality that there is no immunity for anyone from liability exposures these days. Go to https://tulip.ajgrms.com for more information on the TULIP program.

The user group/organization can go online, complete the liability insurance application, and purchase direct from the insurer when qualified. The insurer will then e-send a certificate of insurance to UNCG which is listed as an additional insured for the event or activity at hand.

We have enrolled UNCG as a facility member institution to the TULIP program. To be user-friendly, we have already advised the insurer of our specific institutional insurance requirements for user groups, thus the applicant organization need only complete the rest of the insurance application details for their respective premium quote and conduct their own purchasing decision.

If you need assistance applying for TULIP coverage, please Enterprise Risk Management at (336) 256-1102 or [email protected]. Additionally, you can view the brochure for policy information and application instructions.

This insurance is offered by a third party insurer through our office and the University Risk Managers & Insurance Association (URMIA).


Many students are leaving home and venturing out into the world on their own for the first time. With all the added stressors and concerns this entails, we would like to help add a little peace of mind to both our students, and their parents, when it comes to the protection of their personal belongings.

This insurance is designed specifically for all college students, faculty and staff and it costs less than the cost of a Homeowners Insurance policy deductible while offering better coverage at very affordable rates. With deductibles as low at $25, this policy will cover all student property losses anywhere in the world including borrowed property while in the care, custody and control of the student. This insurance includes coverage for cell phones, tablets, computers, electronics, photography equipment, musical instruments, sports equipment, bicycles, books, clothes, furniture and all other personal property along with the added benefit of identity theft coverage. Covered damages include, but are not limited to fire, theft, water damage, earthquake, vandalism and in many cases, accidental damage.

This plan is specifically designed to cover losses that a homeowner’s policy generally will not cover. It will also protect you from making low dollar claims that can adversely affect your homeowner’s policy. For additional information, quotes or to purchase your coverage now, simply go to www.CollegeStudentInsurance.com.

If you would like assistance in procuring this coverage or have additional questions prior to doing so, please contact Enterprice Risk Management at (336) 256-1102 or email at [email protected]. Additionally, please see the brochure for more information and coverage planning.

Additional Resources

This insurance is offered by a third party insurer through our office and the University Risk Managers & Insurance Association (URMIA).


One of our goals at UNCG is to encourage minors in their journey into higher education. Through our many youth programs, we strive to engage young minds through innovative, interactive and transformative learning experiences that will teach them to approach learning as a shared responsibility. Throughout these programs they are taught to explore future careers, discover hidden talents and excel in academics.

As per the UNCG Youth Programs Policy, we are committed to providing a safe and welcoming experience for minors while engaged in UNCG activities. With that in mind we have established the following insurance requirements for both University operated programs and third party sponsored programs being held on campus or other UNCG facilities.

UNCG Operated Programs

All UNCG-operated programs must be reported to the Enterprise Risk Management and will be added to our University Camp Accident insurance policy which has a quarterly report that must be completed by each camp sponsor. For more information, please contact Enterprise Risk Management at [email protected] or 336-256-1102.

Third Party Sponsored Programs

All organizations/facility users who host camps on the UNCG campus or any UNCG facility are required to be insured and carry at least the following minimum insurance naming UNCG and the State of North Carolina as additional insured. A certificate of insurance must be provided by the third party at least 30 days prior to the event.

  • General Liability with a limit of liability not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence combined single limit.
  • Sexual Abuse/Molestation Liability with a separate limit of liability not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence combined single limit.
  • Damage to Premises with a limit not less than $300,000.
  • Accident Insurance with a limit not less than $100,000.
  • Automobile Liability with a limit not less than $1,000,000 each accident.
  • Worker’s Compensation as prescribed by the laws of the State of North Carolina.

Sports Camp Insurance Program

For those third-party operators that do not already have insurance, we have taken advantage of the opportunity to offer an excellent insurance program to our third party sponsored programs offered by the University Risk Managers and Insurance Association (URMIA). The URMIA Sports Camp Insurance Program (SCIP) provides low-cost, best-in-class, sports-specific insurance to camp programs for minors that are conducted in college or university facilities. This insurance program protects the sports camp, its coaches and counselors, and the college or university venue where the camp is held against claims by individuals who could be injured as a result of participating in the camp. In addition, campers are covered with an Excess Accident Medical Policy for medical bills related to accidents that occur at the camp.

Share This